As the government shutdown stretches into its fourth week, millions of Americans now face an uncertain future. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) better known as food stamps could run out of funds by mid-November.
According to state officials, 36 states have already issued warnings that November SNAP benefits may not be distributed if Congress fails to approve emergency funding. The shutdown, which began on October 1, has paralyzed several key federal programs, including those that ensure families can afford basic groceries.
No SNAP Payments in November 2025 – USDA Confirms Food Stamp Pause

What SNAP Benefits Mean for Americans
SNAP provides monthly food assistance to more than 40 million low-income individuals across the United States. Recipients receive their benefits through an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card, which works like a debit card at grocery stores and supermarkets.
For many families, this monthly benefit is the only way to afford nutritious food. The program is managed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) but requires annual approval from Congress to keep the funds flowing.
While SNAP is technically a “mandatory program,” it still depends on government spending authorizations. Without a deal to reopen the government, the USDA cannot issue new funding for the upcoming month.
Why November Payments Are in Jeopardy
The October payments rolled out as scheduled because funding had been allocated before the shutdown began. However, November benefits require a fresh round of government authorization.
With no resolution in sight, the USDA now warns that funding could dry up completely before mid-November. If that happens, millions of households will not receive their food assistance on time.
Federal officials confirm that the agency cannot distribute November payments unless Congress passes a stopgap funding bill or approves a new budget resolution.
SNAP Update: Processed Food Restrictions Expand to More States
36 States Sound the Alarm
In the past week, 36 states have issued public warnings to residents about the potential disruption. Some have already begun preparing emergency backup plans in case funding stops.
The states that have issued alerts include:
Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
Officials in these states emphasize that even those who did not receive an official warning could still be affected since the shutdown impacts all federal funding streams equally.
Partisan Divide Deepens the Crisis
The shutdown began after lawmakers failed to agree on a healthcare spending bill. Both parties blame each other for the deadlock.
- Republican leaders argue that they have already passed measures to reopen the government, accusing Democrats of blocking progress for political reasons.
- Democratic governors and lawmakers counter that the shutdown is being driven by political games that put working families at risk.
Louisiana Governor Jeff Landry, a Republican, blamed Senate Democrats for the funding stalemate. He said, “Our U.S. senators have voted several times to reopen the government. Now it’s time for the Senate under Democratic leadership to act.”
Meanwhile, Rhode Island’s Governor Dan McKee, a Democrat, accused the administration of prioritizing politics over people. “This shutdown began with political games over healthcare,” he said. “Now it threatens food security for millions of Americans.”
The political divide shows no sign of closing, leaving the future of SNAP funding in serious doubt.
States Take Emergency Action
Some states are preparing temporary relief efforts in case the shutdown continues. In Hawaii, Governor Josh Green announced a $100 million emergency program to support residents who may lose their food benefits.
“I’m authorizing funds from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program to provide short-term support,” Green said in a public statement. “This will give us about a two-month cushion to help those in crisis.”
However, state officials across the country warn that such programs are only short-term solutions. Without federal approval, the money will run out quickly.
What Happens If SNAP Funds Run Out
If the shutdown continues into late November, SNAP recipients could face a temporary halt in payments. That means millions of EBT cards may not be reloaded on schedule, leaving families unable to purchase groceries.
While officials confirm that delayed benefits will eventually be paid, the interruption could cause immediate hardship. Food banks and local charities expect a surge in demand if payments are delayed.
Retailers that depend on SNAP spending such as supermarkets and corner stores could also feel the economic hit, particularly in rural and low-income areas.
Why SNAP Funding Matters
SNAP benefits don’t just support individuals they also stabilize local economies. Every dollar spent on SNAP generates an estimated $1.50 in economic activity, according to the USDA.
If funding stops, grocery sales will fall sharply, affecting farmers, suppliers, and retailers across the country. Economists say that losing these benefits, even temporarily, could reduce consumer spending by billions of dollars nationwide.
The longer the shutdown lasts, the harder it becomes for states and communities to keep food access stable.
The Growing Urgency for Action
As of early November, Congress remains at an impasse. Lawmakers are debating short-term funding measures but have yet to reach a final deal.
Meanwhile, the USDA warns that time is running out. Without immediate approval, November benefits will not go out, and December funding will also be at risk.
Experts argue that allowing SNAP to lapse would have devastating social and economic effects. “This isn’t just about politics it’s about feeding families,” one policy analyst said.
The agency urges lawmakers to act quickly to prevent what could become one of the largest disruptions in the history of federal food assistance.
Final Thought
The November SNAP benefits crisis highlights the real-world impact of political gridlock. For 40 million Americans, this isn’t a debate it’s a question of survival.
As the shutdown drags on, families across 36 states wait anxiously, uncertain if they’ll receive their next food benefit. The message from state officials is clear: funding is running out fast, and the time for political compromise is now.